Holiday Gift-Giving During a Pandemic: How to Shop Safely and Wisely
Despite recommendations to stay home and avoid social gatherings this holiday season, it’s still possible to show your loved ones how much you care with gifts they will cherish.
Throughout this pandemic, many people who were accustomed to traditional in-person shopping have learned to navigate the online shopping world. There are many opportunities to save money while shopping online, so you can make the most of the holiday season this year.
Tips for Shopping Safely and Wisely Online this Holiday Season
1. Use the online shopping cart as a bookmark, so you can compare and contrast prices from store to store. Some retailers will even alert you when items in your cart are on sale.
2. Instead of a debit card, use a credit card or prepaid gift card for online shopping. Georgia Heritage Federal Credit Union has implemented many safeguards to keep your private information protected, but it’s still better to be proactive while shopping online.
In the event that you are a victim of fraud, having your debit card compromised could lead to a greater loss of money than you would experience through credit card fraud.
3. Download coupon and retail apps to save money and get cash back.
4. Grocery shopping apps can help you save money on holiday dinners with your family. Most big-name grocery stores offer online apps these days that allow you to clip coupons as you go. You can also use outside apps for contactless delivery.
5. We know the temptation is real, but avoid buying on a whim. If you see something you like, make note of it and then come back a few hours or a day later. During that time, you may find better deals or decide that the item is not right for you or your gift recipient.
6. When you are shopping online, avoid buying items that are bulky or that your recipient would have to try on. The cost of returning gifts could be almost as much as the gift itself in some cases, especially if it’s a large item.
7. Have the gift shipped directly to the recipient’s home for a speedier process. Along those lines, watch out for “free shipping” offers; many of those only apply when you spend a certain amount of money. If you have time, opt for the free shipping option, even if it takes a little longer to arrive.
8. Be original with creative gifts from the heart that can be shared via a Zoom or Facetime call. Have your children perform a full-scale holiday play that their grandparents can watch, or write and record a song for your best friend. Gift-giving is going to look different this year no matter which way you look at it, so you might as well have fun with a new perspective.
Christmas Club Savings Accounts through Georgia Heritage Federal Credit Union
If you haven’t opened a Christmas Club Savings Account through our Georgia credit union yet, consider setting one up in time for next Christmas. Throughout the year, you can plan for holiday expenses but earn dividends, allowing you to boost your holiday budget. You may contribute as much as you wish, and there is no minimum balance requirement.
Contact one of our credit unions branches for more information about Christmas Club Savings Accounts.