Our History & Mission
Like all Credit Unions, Georgia Heritage Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative. We have enjoyed a long, remarkable history as one of the oldest locally owned financial institutions in the area. The Union Bag Federal Credit Union was organized on April 15, 1940, to serve the employees of the Union Bag Corporation working at the Savannah paper factory.
In 1966, the Credit Union changed its name to Union Camp Savannah Federal Credit Union to coincide with the new name of its sponsor group. Having remained a single sponsor organization for 59 years, the Credit Union changed its name to Georgia Heritage FCU in 1999 when Union Camp was purchased by International Paper.
In 2006, the Credit Union received a community charter, which allows anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Chatham, Effingham and Bryan counties to join.
Georgia Heritage Federal Credit Union expanded with a new branch in Pooler, which opened its doors on March 5, 2012. The branch was named "2013 Business of the Year" by the Pooler Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau. Our third branch was opened on March 18, 2014 in the Stephenson Executive Center. The building is located at the corner of Stephenson Avenue and Habersham Street on Savannah's Southside. We continue to strengthen our brand in the Savannah Metropolitan Area and help establish Georgia Heritage as a premier local financial institution in our community.
We are owned and operated by our members, and exist solely for the purpose of serving our members' best interests. Our vision is to build lifelong relationships with everyone we serve.